Monday 21 October 2019

The Revised Draft Withdrawal Agreement and Political Declaration

SRt Hon ir Kier Starmer QC MP
Author Chris McAndrew
Licence Parliamentary  Digital Service
Source Wikipedia Kier Starmer 





















Jane Lambert

Although I have my views on brexit just like everybody else, I try to keep them to myself in this blog.  Here I discuss the legal issues arising out of our decision to withdraw from the European Union, particularly for the startups and small and medium enterprises that I advise and represent.

On Thursday 19 Oct 2019, the government published the draft Agreement on the withdrawal of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northen Ireland from the EuropeanUnion and the European Atomic Energy Community and the draft Political Declaration setting out the framework for the future relationship between the European Union and the United Kingdom.  These can be compared with the draft agreement and the political declaration of 14 Nov 2018.

I have not yet had time to go through those drafts provision by provision and in view of the political uncertainties, I am not sure that it would be a good use of my time if I did.  But the Ri Hon Sir Kier Starmer QC MP, the shadow secretary of state for exiting the European Union, and his assistants clearly have done for he delivered a comprehensive forensic critique of the draft instruments in the Commons on Saturday (see  Keir Starmer blasts holes in blasting holes in "Government’s damaging plans, a trap-door to no-dealProductiehuisEU YouTube 19 Oct 2019).  The government has promoted the 19 Oct draft agreement as an achievement but from the little I have read of it, it seems to have been the result of concessions particularly over Northern Ireland.  Readers can, of course, make up their own minds from the links in this article.

Anyone wishing to discuss this article or brexit generally may call me on 020 7404 5252 during office hours or send me a message through my contact page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Milan steps into London's Shoes to host a Section of the Central Division of the UPC's Court of First Instance

Author Francesco Ungaro   Licence CCO 1.0 Deed   Source Wikimedia   Jane Lambert :  It is ironic that the government of one of the countries...